[SciPy-Dev] Noob on board :)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 06:46:58 EDT 2011

Hi Ney, welcome!

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM, N H <neyhmor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hallo Friends
> My Name is Ney Henrique, Brazilian based in Germany, Chemist and I`m about
> to conclude my PhD in Computational Physics.
> First of all I would like to thank Mr. Ed Schofield for his nice reply on my
> original contact.
> As most of you might guess, I´m writing you today to introduce my self and
> let you know about my interest in contributing to the Scipy project.
> Honestly I´m not an experienced programmer, but I guess that helping you
> would be a great chance for both learning and getting into a collaborative
> project.
> Please let me know how can I help the Project ( Testing, Debugging,
> Developping some small tools ... etc ). I´m eager to contribute!

There are many things you could help out with: tests, documentation,
new functionality, addressing reported bugs, reviewing patches on the
bug tracker, ....

Before you start it would be good to read through
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/index.html, it's the same workflow
for numpy and scipy. You'll probably want to start with just one of
the sub-packages of scipy, just browse the docs and see what interests
you. You can also look at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/report/1,
sort by "Component", and look at open tickets.

If you want to work on bug fixes, test and doc improvements, you can
just start and then ask for review. For new functionality or
backwards-incompatible changes it's usually better to first discuss on
this mailing list.

Cheers,
Ralf