[SciPy-Dev] optimize.fmin_bfgs patch to review

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:04:56 EST 2010

Hi, I've gathered and updated the changes for review of #734 and #843 in
https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commits/bfgs-tickets. Happily sent a pull
request on github, which of course ended up in my own inbox:) Description:

The change for #843 is trivial and the exact same as for other minimizers.

The changes for #734 are three changes:
1. more stable sk, this is obvious.
2. extra stopping criterion. there's a reference, which seems to be
followed. But no test, although the submitter claims it works better. I
can't come up with a test to exercise this. Reviewer please decide whether
to keep this or not - looks OK to me but I'm not sure.
3. handle zero division better. looks fine to me.

Tests still pass of course. Can someone please have a look?
Cheers,
Ralf