[SciPy-Dev] schedule for scipy 0.9.0 [scipy.interpolate]

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Sat Nov 13 07:05:05 EST 2010

On 11/13/2010 06:28 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi
> <mailto:pav at iki.fi>> wrote:
>
>     Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:42:57 -0700, Charles R Harris wrote:
>     [clip: scipy.interpolate]
>     > Which is the pure python one? The interpolate.py module is, I
>     believe,
>     > Pearu's and uses fitpack.
>
>     - The one in interpolate.py uses fitpack for evaluation, but is
>     otherwise
>      pure-Python, and has only procedular interface (splmake & spleval)
>
>     - There are also two Python-FITPACK interfaces, _fitpack.so and
>      dfitpack.so, which both are both used by the procedural (splrep &
>     splev)
>      and OO interfaces.
>

> I think I may have added the _fitpack.so dependency for a bug fix,
> IIRC the original only used dfitpack.so. I'm not really happy with
> fitpack, it is a bit musty and not that clean, but it would be a
> significant amount of work to fix it up or replace it. It might be
> possible to use just a small subset of the functions and build higher
> functionality using cython or some such.

I don't know fitpack well enough to say, but in general there's a chance
that this may be helped by what I'm currently doing for Enthought.

The way of getting a version of SciPy running on .NET is essentially to
replace all f2py .pyf files with Cython .pyx files. That also adds a
fast Cython interface to the module so that when writing Cython code
there's will be no significant function call overhead when going between
Cython and the Fortran code (that is, a .pxd file is provided).

If somebody wants to do this we should get in touch so that we can work
something out and see if and how I can contribute with what I'm doing.

(BTW, the conversion is automatic with the aid of fwrap, but once the
conversion is done I contemplate removing the .pyf files and only have
the .pyx files checked in. Changes in the Fortran files can be merged
into the .pyx files using git.)

Dag Sverre