[SciPy-Dev] schedule for scipy 0.9.0 [scipy.interpolate]

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 00:28:26 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:42:57 -0700, Charles R Harris wrote:
> [clip: scipy.interpolate]
> > Which is the pure python one? The interpolate.py module is, I believe,
> > Pearu's and uses fitpack.
>
> - The one in interpolate.py uses fitpack for evaluation, but is otherwise
>  pure-Python, and has only procedular interface (splmake & spleval)
>
> - There are also two Python-FITPACK interfaces, _fitpack.so and
>  dfitpack.so, which both are both used by the procedural (splrep & splev)
>  and OO interfaces.

I think I may have added the _fitpack.so dependency for a bug fix, IIRC the
original only used dfitpack.so. I'm not really happy with fitpack, it is a
bit musty and not that clean, but it would be a significant amount of work
to fix it up or replace it. It might be possible to use just a small subset
of the functions and build higher functionality using cython or some such.

Chuck