[SciPy-Dev] distribution docstring generation

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri May 14 11:26:09 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:34 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:49 PM, David Goldsmith
> <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> It works, and I merged the docstrings and did some basic editing in
> >> rv_continuous and rv_discrete.
> >>
> >> the template version seems to have problems with %(shapes)s in the
> >> Parameter list  when shapes is empty,
> >> e.g http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.stats.maxwell/

Should be fixed in r6390.

> >> The instance descriptions seems to allow editing, but only the class
> >> docstring should be edited
> >> e.g.
> >> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.stats.distributions.maxwell_gen/
> >
> > Would you go so far as to characterize this as a bug?
>
> Bug, undesired feature or feature request ?
> I have no idea whether or how the doceditor can blacklist a function
> (or class instance) so it cannot be edited or so it redirects to the
> correct location.

Don't know either, but it would be very useful to be able to 'lock' pages.
Since I don't think that's possible right now, maybe a capitalized note on
each page is in order.

> The templating system is new for the distributions, so I'm also not
> sure yet how it behaves everywhere.
>
> I edited Poisson just to check
> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.stats.poisson/
>
> I could save the edit, but I have no idea where it would be stored.
> And it's not supposed to be directly edited.

It's stored in the wiki vcs. When a patch from it would be generated, it
wouldn't work anyway since these distributions are class instances. In this
respect nothing changed, the old template system could also not be edited in
the wiki.

Cheers,
Ralf