[SciPy-Dev] Clarification: is the Extended Summary section optional?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 2 07:22:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Scott Sinclair <scott.sinclair.za@
> gmail.com> wrote:

>> list.
>> this
>> be

I think we shouldn't go overboard here. In the great majority of cases it's
needed but sometimes there's just not much info to add besides what's in the
summary and parameter description. Examples:
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.core.umath.add/
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.lib.ufunclike.isneginf/
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.core.umath.logical_or/

These are all good docstrings and should not be reset to "needs editing"
imho. And if you really have info to add, I suggest to just add it the
moment you see it - will be a lot more productive in the end.

Finally, there's a huge amount of low hanging fruit in the scipy docs. Why
not just take a module and dig in? These details can wait for a while.

Best regards,
Ralf