[SciPy-Dev] Clarification: is the Extended Summary section optional?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 02:44:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Scott Sinclair <scott.sinclair.za at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 1 June 2010 22:48, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> this
> >>
> >> Typically, there is no reason not to have an extended section.  Can
> >> you give an example where it would seem unnecessary?
> >
> > No: my position would appear to be the same as yours, and my inclination
> > would be to "revert" them to "Being written."
>
> Wouldn't it better to revert them to "Needs editing" instead? The
> "Being written" status implies that someone is actively working on the
> docstring...
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

Correct; actually, what I'm doing for these, and other prematurely promoted
docstrings, is checking the log: only if the most recent edit was
substantial and within the last 6 mo. (indicating some amount of recent
"ownership") am I pushing back to "Being written," otherwise, which, so far,
is the dominant case by far, I am indeed pushing it back to "Needs editing."
:-)

 DG

by Robert Graves)