[SciPy-dev] compilation with fort77

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:54:20 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:16 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:05 AM, Thomas Tanner <tanner at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi Josef,
>>
>> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>>> However, scipy still builds with g77 in MingW 3.4.5 and I thought
>>> mvndst is the fortran 77 version of
>>> http://www.math.wsu.edu/faculty/genz/homepage
>>
>> the routine MVNUN is a modification by Enthought Inc.
>>
>> * Note: The test program has been removed and a utlity routine mvnun has
>> been
>> * added.  RTK 2004-08-10
>> *
>> * Copyright 2000 by Alan Genz.
>> * Copyright 2004-2005 by Enthought, Inc.
>> *
>> * The subroutine MVNUN is copyrighted by Enthought, Inc.
>
> Yes, I also just checked following your original line numbers. mvnun
> is just a short wrapper function that looks like it could be replaced
> by a python function.

Or maybe not, the second part of mvnun is a heavy duty loop over all
points in the data, so there is a strong reason to keep it in fortran.

Since I don't know type details in fortran, I don't know how difficult
it would be to move the creation of the temp variables of mvnun that
includes the variable dimensions declarations into a python function.
But looking at the fortran code, I have no idea, mvndist uses the
similar variables
CORREL(*) instead of rho(d*(d-1)/2)
How are temp variables with flexible dimension defined in fortran77?

(If I had to fix it, knowing as little fortran as I do, I would just
add all offending temp variables into the argument list and create
them in python. Since kde is the only user of mvnun, it shouldn't be
to difficult to change)

Josef

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem "