[SciPy-dev] scipy.test() failures

Neil Killeen nkilleen at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 26 22:04:53 EDT 2009

On 27/10/2009, at 11:45 , David Warde-Farley wrote:

>> yes from source
>>

>>> What about lapack?
>>
>> i am using the system version, /usr/lib  The FAQ states that the
>> srotmg error is a BLAS
>> error and that I should install from netlib which I did
>
> Disclaimer: I usually build ATLAS and LAPACK from source, I've
> never really played with the netlib BLAS much.

I'm a bit confused by all the various packagings (bear in mind I am
just installing this for end users, I'm not a consumer myself).

By going to netlib, which I thought was the home of BLAS,
I *did* install from source.

ATLAS seems to be repackaging/reimpl of LAPACK and BLAS ?

Installing ATLAS seemed rather a lot of bother so I was trying
the easy path,

> liblapack.a may have certain BLAS functions inside the archive (I
> think)
> if you installed ATLAS packages from your distribution.
> I'd recommend a clean LAPACK as well, and building numpy and scipy
> against the same set of libraries, just to be safe... From
> show_config()
> it looks like everything should be in order, I think.

ok i will try that.   I gather though buiding from the reference
implementations
may bring poor performance and that ATLAS seeks to redress that ?

Do you recommend I bite the bullet and try to make an ATLAS install ?

> Are you getting the exact same errors after building against your
> source built BLAS?

yes

> David

cheers