[SciPy-dev] Proposed generic docstring for attributes of class generic

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:52:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Short summary: Not implemented (virtual attribute)
>>
>> Extended summary: Class generic exists solely to derive numpy scalars
>> from, and possesses, albeit unimplemented, all the attributes of the ndarray
>> class so as to provide a uniform API.
>

>> See Also: the corresponding attribute of the derived class of interest.
>>
>> Comments?
>>

> I saw you put this in the wiki already. One thing that is wrong is the See
> Also on each page, instead of the default text it needs the right link, i.e.
> for numpy.generic.sum refer to ndarray.sum.

Umm, why, exactly?  Generic is the base class for scalars and doesn't really
have anything to do w/ ndarray.

Other than that I have no idea. Please ask again during the sprint if you
> don't get a better answer.

As you yourself have observed, I can ask 'til I'm blue in the face, but I
don't think I'm going to get anyone who knows better than the people who've
already read the docstring on scipy-dev.

DG