[SciPy-dev] Cython and large generated .c files

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Nov 8 09:20:01 EST 2009

su, 2009-11-08 kello 01:05 -0800, Matthew Brett kirjoitti:
[clip: huge Cython-generated .c files]
> An obvious way round this is to let distutils run Cython for developer
> builds, and only generate the .c for releases, or some such, but I can
> see that could get messy.   But, the space the .c file takes up is
> making me think twice about commits.
>
> Have y'all got any thoughts how to deal with this problem?

I think Cython has some pre-made distutils hooks to make this less
painless. I don't know how nicely they work with numpy.distutils,
however...

A bigger issue than build setup may be that then we'd require users to
have the latest Cython installed to build Scipy. (Perhaps the
generated .c files could be shipped with the distributed tarballs,
though, so only people interested in SVN would need Cython.)
Actually, this might not be so much to ask, given that Cython is a
pure-Python package.

So, should we make Scipy depend on Cython at build-time?

I agree that things may get annoying if we decide to avoid this in the
long run, if the number of Cython-based extensions starts to grow.

--
Pauli Virtanen