[SciPy-dev] Cython and large generated .c files

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 04:05:41 EST 2009

I'm speeding up the Matlab file IO routines by using Cython.
Generally this has been a pleasant experience, but the size of the
generated .c files is beginning to worry me.

As y'all know, the accepted approach is to commit both the Cython .pyx
files, and the Cython-generated .c files.

My problem is that the .c files are getting big - a 22K .pyx file
generating 516K of .c file.

If I do a few changes in the .pyx file, and commit the .pyx and the .c
file, that's going to add up to lot of space in the SVN repository.

An obvious way round this is to let distutils run Cython for developer
builds, and only generate the .c for releases, or some such, but I can
see that could get messy.   But, the space the .c file takes up is
making me think twice about commits.

Have y'all got any thoughts how to deal with this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew