[SciPy-dev] Porting SciPy to Py3k GSOC project

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 01:35:48 EDT 2009

2009/3/23 ross smith <rjsm at umich.edu>

> Hello again,
>

>> I don't know if my second email made it through the moderator (it was too
>> large).
>>
>> 2009/3/23 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi Ross,

>>> Do you have a plan of attack?
>>>

>>   I do.   I've done some looking through the trunk svn, and I see three
>> chunks to the project.  the Distutils, NumPy and SciPy.  Distutils would be
>> first on the list to be ported as the other two won't install without it.
>> for the most part I plan to stick to the outline in python's suggested
>> porting method as it worked well for the Lab's codebase.   (
>> http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html)
>>
>> What all does your experience suggest will be needed?
>>>

>>    Most of the code will require minor or stylistic changes here and
>> there.  The two issues that require much more work are any __cmp__ methods
>> and any questionable coding practices.  I've found that the things that 2to3
>> (the provided auto-converter) chokes on are things that shouldn't have made
>> it to production in the first place.  Once it's been run through 2to3, the
>> bugs and errors that pop up don't seem to follow much of a pattern and I
>> expect much more work per bug or error in this auto-converted code.
>>
>> I think if you can end the project with a report on your experience and a
>>> list of things that needed to be done that that would be helpful in itself.
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestions.   I have one other question,  are there unit
>> tests available somwhere that I haven't seen?  looking under the tests and
>> testing folders in the source tree turned up a fairly lean set of tests.

Yes, test coverage certainly isn't where it should be and varies a lot among
packages. We could probably use someone slogging away at the unromantic work
of expanding the coverage if you know anyone who might be interested.

For distutils, David would probably be the best bet. The f2py translator is
important for scipy and could probably use a looksie too. Other folks know
more about scipy than I, so hopefully they will weigh in. I'm mostly a numpy
guy so I was happy to see you included numpy in your list.

We can use all the help we can get.

Chuck