[SciPy-dev] removing wx-related weave code (was test errors blocking 0.7.x branch)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jan 29 02:19:13 EST 2009

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>
>> I see a solution to this: wait a bit more for cython to stabilise and
>> people to get used to it, and then say that weave is depreciated in the
>> favor of cython, and move it out. I can see such a scheme working (it has
>> worked for me: I no longer really favor weave, cython is nicer).
>>

> Since 0.7.0rc2 is out, weave will be in 0.7.x.  We could deprecate
> weave (and recommend cython?) in 0.8.x.  Simultaneous with the 0.8
> release, we can move weave from the development trunk to its own
> project.  Then weave can raise an error in 0.9.x and point users to
> the standalone project and/or cython.  We could then remove all
> references to weave in the 0.10.x release.

I am afraid this will annoy many users: I don't know the numbers (I
guess nobody knows), but there seems to be quite a few users of weave.
And adding C++ support to anything which needs some C++ understanding -
the cython alternative - is a huge task; I am not saying it would not be
useful, but C++ is such a complicated thing that supporting even a
useful subset of it is very hard, and certainly will take time.

David