David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Feb 27 00:48:01 EST 2009

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> On 02/27/09 11:07, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>
>> scipy-submit -t 212 -m "Do not deallocate memory after object disposal."
>>
>> which then uploads the patch to the codereview site, and adds a link
>> to ticket 212 with the commit message and review URL.  All of this can
>> be done via the web, but I'd prefer to have a CLI available.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions or further concerns?
>>

> I've not contributed anything in years to scipy but I have a practical
> problem that might be worth addressing eventually (others might be in a
> similar position) -- my entire network is firewalled and I can only
> access the web behind an authenticated http proxy.

I have similar issues, and I agree those are valid concerns. Those can
be very painful to handle. In my case, there is no DNS server, the names
are resolved by the proxy; my workstation can only resolve the proxy
name. This breaks most applications out there. ssh is not easy, because
ssh cannot resolve names - for git, I managed to get things worked out
for github using corkscrew. This is the kind of things which I managed
to do once and hope never have to do again, so I can't tell you exactly
how to do it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew_(program)

My .ssh/config looks like this for github

Host gitproxy
        User git
        HostName ssh.github.com
        Port 443
        ProxyCommand /usr/bin/corkscrew www  3128 %h %p
        IdentityFile /home/david/.ssh/id_rsa.pub

Where www is the name of my proxy and 3128 the port.

FWIW, svn has similar problems. I could never commit anything from a
former internship location because of some proxy limitations - it is one
of the reasons which pushed me into git for scipy development, actually.
If you can't access either ssh or proxy, my experience is that you are
more or less screwed with any tool out there - but with DVCS, you can at
least put your changes aside and commit them later from an easier
connection.

cheers,

David