[SciPy-dev] on-line lectures and new text book using python, numpy, scipy

David Gowers 00ai99 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:08:42 EST 2009

Hello John,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM, John Stachurski
<john.stachurski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to all scipy and numpy developers for creating a great package.
>
> I'm an economist researching computational techniques, and I'm trying
> to wean economists off MATLAB and onto python/numpy/scipy.  I have
> a book just published through MIT Press on computational economics
> using python:
>
> http://johnstachurski.net/book/book.html
>
> I've also written a fairly comprehensive set of lectures on python/numpy/
> scipy with applications in economics

When I see that you are using python+numpy+scipy, I wonder whether

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_(mathematics_software)

could be useful to you, since it packages up those three and much more
mathematical software into a single interface, in one package. I know
part of the motivation for SAGE was to provide more complete
MATLAB-equivalent functionality (the primary motivation being to have
a open-source software suite capable of replacing Mathematica)

David