[SciPy-dev] Proposal: scipy.spatial

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 03:26:47 EDT 2008

2008/9/30 Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Once again there has been a thread on the numpy/scipy mailing lists
> requesting (essentially) some form of spatial data structure. Pointers
> have been posted to ANN (sadly LGPLed and in C++) as well as a handful
> of pure-python implementations of kd-trees. I suggest the creation of
> a new submodule of scipy, scipy.spatial, to contain spatial data
> structures and algorithms. Specifically, I propose it contain a
> kd-tree implementation providing nearest-neighbor, approximate
> nearest-neighbor, and all-points-near queries. I have a few other
> suggestions for things it might contain, but kd-trees seem like a good
> first step.

There is also a kd-tree implementation in the learn scikit (in the
manifold_learning.regression module). It does not create a balanced
tree though, as it aims at having square nodes (the dimensions of a
node are equal in each direction so as to select the adequate nodes to
be searched) and it can be upgraded to the search of the nearest
neighbors in a sphere.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student