[SciPy-dev] [MAJOR BUG] latest numpy leads to scikits fail [was: installing openopt]

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko at scipy.org
Mon Sep 22 08:58:27 EDT 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
> You need to change this, I guess, but for the time being, you can tell
> setuptools install to avoid using eggs (I personally always install
> scikits this way, since I want to avoid eggs on my system, and this
> works well):
>
> python setup.py install --prefix=foo --single-version-externally-managed
> --record=/dev/null
>
> I have an alias which shall remain nameless in public to 'python
> setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed --record=/dev/null'

I wonder why scikits installation now is performed into eggs?
Initially there were no problems with pure Python code. Also, AFAIK eggs
are zipped, at least according to the message I obtain that contains
zipimport.ZipImportError. I guess unzipping 2 MB of openopt's code each
session leads to some time leak, also, it will be harder to trace
programs (via debugger or something like that).

I hope the situation with scikits eggs will be turned back to plain code.

D.