[SciPy-dev] [mailinglist] Re: scipy.sparse crashes

Uwe Schmitt uschmitt at mineway.de
Wed Nov 12 10:56:59 EST 2008

David Cournapeau schrieb:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Uwe Schmitt <uschmitt at mineway.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> are there any known issues concerning crashes in  scipy.sparse ?
>> The Python interpreter crashes if I have huge sparse matrices,
>> but I am not able to reproduce this problem (at least now).
>>

> Which platform are you on ? And which version of scipy are you using ?
> There were known defects on mac os X which have been solved recently.

It is cygwin / Windows XP, Scipy version is 0.6.0.
>> As my matrix is about 260MB I can not post it here, and even
>> providing a download is difficult.
>>

> The matrix cannot be generated ? Maybe you could try to reproduce the
> crash with a smaller matrix. A backtrace would be useful, too. Under
> linux or mac os X, it is relatively simple to do so:

No, I'm processing large text files and the matrices originate
from them. Further I am not allowed to give those files away.

There is no backtrace despite a message window telling that
the Python interpreter chrashed.

Further I am not able to reproduce the problem on smaller
matrices.

gdb says:

   0x102d6860 in tk84!TkFinalize () from /cygdrive/c/Python25/DLLs/tk84.dll

I think the TkFinalize is from the message window, I do not
use tk or matplotlib in my script.

Greetings, Uwe

> gdb python
> run myscript.py
> ... -> crash
> bt
>
> David

Dr. rer. nat. Uwe Schmitt
F&E Mathematik

mineway GmbH
Science Park 2
D-66123 Saarbrücken

Telefon: +49 (0)681 8390 5334
Telefax: +49 (0)681 830 4376

uschmitt at mineway.de
www.mineway.de

Geschäftsführung: Dr.-Ing. Mathias Bauer
Amtsgericht Saarbrücken HRB 12339