[SciPy-dev] scipy.sparse crashes

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 10:35:13 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Uwe Schmitt <uschmitt at mineway.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> are there any known issues concerning crashes in  scipy.sparse ?
> The Python interpreter crashes if I have huge sparse matrices,
> but I am not able to reproduce this problem (at least now).

Which platform are you on ? And which version of scipy are you using ?
There were known defects on mac os X which have been solved recently.

> As my matrix is about 260MB I can not post it here, and even
> providing a download is difficult.

The matrix cannot be generated ? Maybe you could try to reproduce the
crash with a smaller matrix. A backtrace would be useful, too. Under
linux or mac os X, it is relatively simple to do so:

gdb python
run myscript.py
... -> crash
bt