[SciPy-dev] Technology Previews and Sphinx Docstring Annotations

Damian Eads eads at soe.ucsc.edu
Tue Nov 4 11:28:11 EST 2008

Hi there,

After the first release of my clustering library last November, I
suggested it be included in SciPy. Since the code was quite polished
but could use some refinements, it was suggested a scikit be created.
I found the distribution and web infrastructure for scikits somewhat
lacking, and feared it would eliminate my package's chances of gaining
widespread adoption. If one googles "scikit" instead of "scikits", no
matches come up for the SciPy scikit wiki. If one manages to land on
the scikit front page, its messiness and lack of structure is somewhat
discouraging. Code development is a big time investment, and there is
something very emotionally unagreeable about the thought of one's
well-written code collecting dust.

I think if the web site were revamped so it looked less like a wiki
and more professional, you'd get more scikit developers. I envision a
dynamically generated listing of projects complete with a description,
download link, SVN info, and mailing list subscription information.
Scikit third-party package developers can log-in to create new
projects, change their descriptions, or post new releases. By using
dynamically generated content for the front page, a more consistent
look and feel can be achieved. The MLOSS page is a good example of a
project listing infrastructure that looks nice and professional,
http://www.mloss.org/software/.

If the Scikit page was more professional and we had better keyword
placement on search engines, we'd encourage more third-party package
developers to develop using scipy.org resources over Google Code,
Savannah, or Sourceforge.

My two cents,

Damian