[SciPy-dev] License review / weave bsd-ification

Damian Eads eads at soe.ucsc.edu
Mon Nov 3 02:40:21 EST 2008

I'm in the car with Jarrod on the bay bridge. We were just discussing
this issue a bit. I tend to agree with you that it belongs outside of
SciPy, perhaps as a Scikit. Several tests have been failing for quite
some time, which is problematic when we're trying to push towards a
more regular release cycle. It seems very unlike the rest of SciPy as
it deals with inline compilation of C code rather than generic
scientific code. The licensing issues are also a bit onerous.

My two cents,

Damian

On 11/3/08, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Jarrod Millman wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I have been working to ensure that all the code in scipy is correctly
>> licensed.  One of the main issues was the blitz code in weave.  I
>> contacted the authors and we were given permission to use the code
>> with a BSD license:  http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/649
>>
>> I just finished most of the changes in:
>>   http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4949
>>   http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4949
>>
>> I found one file in blitz that I am not sure what to do about:
>>
>> http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/weave/blitz/blitz/rand-mt.h
>>

> I believe you have no choice but to get the agreement of every
> contributor to this code if you want to change it to BSD (which looks
> like at least Matsumoto-san and Allan Stokes).
>
> Is this file mandatory for blitz ? Also, blitz is only used in weave,
> right ? I remember some discussion about putting weave into a scikit,
> but I can't find it ATM; maybe I am confused with something else, though.
>
> cheers,
>
> David

Sent from my mobile device