[SciPy-dev] Roadmap scipy 0.7

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:55:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Depends on the schedule, I don't think these are high priority bugs. You
> > should probably open a ticket in any case.  Probably for the deprecation
> > warnings also.
>
> It looks like about half of the deprecation warnings (which appear
> whether or not -OO is used) are due to the use of items from
> numpy.testing that are scheduled for removal in NumPy 1.3.  The other
> half are from the PyArray* functions that got deprecated in NumPy 1.2.
>  There's a couple of UserWarnings as well. I don't know if they're
> expected or not--it seems like there's a lot of SciPy tests that
> liberally emit warnings (due to testing corner cases and such, I
> presume).

Because there is so little code involved, I'm thinking that we should just
leave the deprecated functions in numpy 1.3 and keep the warnings. I expect
you have a better idea of what to do about the testing functions than I.

> For this particular issue, it's probably less work to make SciPy 0.7
> work against NumPy 1.2 with a minimum of errors/warnings.  I just
> opened a ticket for 0.7; should I open one for 0.6 as well?

I'm a bit confused, isn't 0.6 the current release? If so, I think 0.7 is the
appropriate version for the fixes.

Chuck