[SciPy-dev] Old numarray convolve2d fft=1 option

David O'Sullivan dosu004 at sges.auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 2 08:12:05 EDT 2007

Hi,
I'm relatively new to this, and certainly no expert on the underlying
math of all this stuff, but I'm trying to do relatively large kernel
convolutions on large 2d matrices.  The kernels might be 160x160 while
the matrices themselves might be 2500x2500.  They're also likely to be
sparse matrices, but I'll worry about that later - for now I'm just
scoping things out.

So... anyway... with those size convolutions in mind, I'm intrigued by
the fft=1 option that was in the numarray.convolve2d function (or so it
says at

http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numarray/numarray-1.5.html/node65.html

This option doesn't seem to be in the current scipy.signal.convolve2d
function.  Presumably it would speed 2d convolutions up a lot?

Is there a way around this?

Or a plan to put the fft implementation into scipy.signal.convolve2d?

Thanks

David

--
David O'Sullivan, Senior Lecturer
School of Geography and Environmental Science