[SciPy-dev] The future of the scipy.sandbox and a reminder of upcoming doc-day

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 23:28:05 EST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 9:11 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > I'd like to see arpack in the sparse folder (?) very fast as some my code
> > would need a sparse solver (I proposed that it could be moved in a scikit
> > but it makes sense to keep it in scipy so that sparse solvers are available
> > in scipy).
>
> Yes, arpack should go into the sparse package.  If you have the time,
> it would be great if you could help get it moved over.  Ideally, we
> can get it moved into scipy.sparse before the 0.7 release around the
> end of March.

How do you see sparse being structured?  Currently sparse contains
only the sparse matrix classes and a handful of creation functions
(e.g. spdiags) and the iterative solvers live in
scipy.linalg.iterative.

It would be strange to put an eigensolver under sparse and iterative
methods for linear systems under linalg.  Also, lobpcg should live
along side arpack wherever they end up.  I could imagine a structure
like:

scipy.iterative.linear (for cg/gmres etc.)
scipy.iterative.eigen (for arpack/lobpcg etc.)

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com