[SciPy-dev] report on some tickets related to scipy.optimize

dmitrey openopt at ukr.net
Sun Aug 19 11:43:13 EDT 2007

hi all,
let me inform you about a summary of ticket work, according to Alan Isaac demand.
all tickets assigned to me are mentioned here.
======================

Pending
-------

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/344
should be closed

changeset [3172] <http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/3172>, it had been fixed and now all fmin_cg tests known to me, including unittests, pass ok

the problem was in _cubicmin func, it used Num.dot([[dc**2,
-db**2],[-dc**3, db**3]],[fb-fa-C*db,fc-fa-C*dc])

and it gave incorrect multiply with current numpy version (matrix of
shape 2x2x1 times matrix of shape 2x2 or like that)

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/384
tnc:

      TypeError: argument 2 must be list, not numpy.ndarray

so the problem was
... = fmin_tnc(func, x, ...)
earlier tnc required x to be Python list, not numpy.ndarray.
I added line x = asfarray(x).tolist()
So now tnc works with both python list (see
/optimize/tests/test_optimize.py, funcs test3fg, test4fg and others)
and numpy.ndarray (func test38fg from same file)

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/390
(bfgs falls)
we decided the one should be closed because bfgs solver is used on an non-convex objfun with lots of local minima. So nothing special that sometimes it yields other solution than mentioned by ticket author.
the ticket should be closed

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/234

      suppressing warning in leastsq and fsolve in optimize

it's done in the way proposed by ticket author, the ticket should be closed

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/285

(enhancement proposition to fmin_powell)

So, as it was proposed by Alan Isaac and agreed in scipy mail list, alternative changes to fmin_powell were implemented (object-oriented style, class with some funcs and fields.)

//to Alan Isaac: it was Nils who published the comment, not I.

//        (please clearly summarize the blog comments here;
//        we cannot assume persistance of the blog)

Afaik David intended to continue transformation of other scipy.optimize funcs to new style, but I don't know will he do it or not and is it worth to do or not.

Won't Do
--------

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/399
        OK (won't do)