[SciPy-dev] Bandwidth selection

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:33:23 EDT 2007

All,
I'm slowly cleaning some code I had written a few months ago, porting SiZer to
python.
<educational break>
SiZer, or Significant Zero crossing, is a graphical tool to estimate what
features in a distribution are significant. It is based on gaussian kernel
smoothing at different bandwidths: depending on the first derivative of the
smooth, features are judged significant or not at a given confidence level.
</educational break>

The initial code was written in Matlab w/ pieces of Fortran, and I received
the permission from the main author to port it to scipy and release it as
BSD. The package introduces some gaussian-kernel smoothing functions, as well
as some automatic bandwidth selectors. In a first step, I want to limit
myself to 1D datasets, w/ gaussian kernels.

* What has already been done in scipy concerning bandwith selectors ? There's
a scipy.stats.kde, but the documentation is scarce...

* What would be the best way to release the code ? Scikit ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your inputs
P.