[SciPy-dev] petsc - UMFPACK and scipy

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Fri Apr 13 08:36:41 EDT 2007

Nils Wagner wrote:
> Robert Cimrman wrote:
>> Nils Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> Please can you show me an example where petsc solvers are
>>> "better" than UMFPACK.
>>>
>> Petsc is really a superpackage providing many parallel linear
>> solvers (iterative, direct, preconditioners, ...) together with
>> nonlinear solvers, time steppers, etc. The solvers can be both
>> petsc-native or external packages, nevertheless all are accessed
>> via a uniform interface. IMHO UMFPACK is one of the optional
>> external solvers petsc can use, so to answer your question, petsc
>> can do anything that UMFPACK does and much more.
>>
> The current UMFPACK version is 5.0.3. Which versions are supported by
>  scipy ? As I mentioned in a previous email I still have trouble to
> install other versions than 4.4. Any pointer, how to install more
> recent versions of UMFPACK, would be appreciated.

I can use 5.0 without problems, so 5.0.3 should work too.

I have downloaded the whole UFsparse suite, edited UFconfig/UFconfig.mk,
cd into UMFPACK and typed 'make' (normal UMFPACK installation
procedure). Then I edited my numpy/site.cfg to reflect the installation
paths. I do remember you had some problems with this step, but I do not
know why.

Any other recent UMFPACK users out there?

r.
ps: I am leaving for one week, so I will not be able to answer UMFPACK
related questions :)