[SciPy-dev] petsc - UMFPACK and scipy

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Apr 13 07:32:53 EDT 2007

Robert Cimrman wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>
>> Please can you show me an example where petsc solvers are "better" than
>> UMFPACK.
>>

> Petsc is really a superpackage providing many parallel linear solvers
> (iterative, direct, preconditioners, ...) together with nonlinear
> solvers, time steppers, etc. The solvers can be both petsc-native or
> external packages, nevertheless all are accessed via a uniform
> interface. IMHO UMFPACK is one of the optional external solvers petsc
> can use, so to answer your question, petsc can do anything that UMFPACK
> does and much more.
>
> r.

The current UMFPACK version is 5.0.3. Which versions are supported by
scipy ?
As I mentioned in a previous email I still have trouble to install other
versions than 4.4.
Any pointer, how to install more recent versions of UMFPACK, would be
appreciated.

When you are talking about superpackages how about Sundials ?
http://www.llnl.gov/CASC/sundials/

AFAIK the ode  solvers in scipy cannot handle events and a DAE solver is
also missing in scipy.

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin51/eventhandling.html

Are there plans to add this functionality to scipy (in the form of
scikits) ?

Nils