[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Oct 2 16:53:36 EDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:

>On 10/2/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
>

>>Given the existence of other journals that are more "general-purpose,"
>>I'd really like to have a journal that focuses on code written for
>>Python.  Is that feasible?   I don't see why not.  I think that Python
>>makes an excellent language to express scientific algorithms in.   I
>>think it should be a requirement that the contribution have some
>>relevance to computing with Python.
>>

>Even if it is all Python for the time being, I think I would prefer a
>more generic sounding name, like "Journal of Scientific Computing in
>High Level Languages".

I have mixed feelings here.  I, too, am concerned that a journal which
expounds scientific computing with Python might be seen as too
"Ziff-Davis" like (although it will certainly have a much different
focus than their magazines).

On the other hand, there are already a lot of "general-purpose" journals
for publishing algorithms in scientific computing.  We need a journal
that documents the development of tools for an open source platform for
conducting scientific computing.   Right now that platform for us is
Python.  Should it change, then another journal gets started.  I think
this is an example of where you lose benefit by trying to be too
general.  I don't think the reputation of the journal will be altered
(in the long run) by whether or not the word Python is in the name.  In
fact, I'd like to emphasize the use of Python for scientific code
development in place of other choices which are also available.

So, perhaps I'm not "ambitious" enough to create a publication that
outlasts Python, but in my mind, the journal lives and dies by the use
of Python in scientific computing.  There are just too many other
journals that take the "all languages" welcome view point and provide
you with papers that describe algorithms but are difficult to reproduce.
  I think we should make it clear that this journal details how Python
can be used for computing (and for explaining algorithms).

-Travis