[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 04:05:05 EDT 2006

On 10/2/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> Given the existence of other journals that are more "general-purpose,"
> I'd really like to have a journal that focuses on code written for
> Python.  Is that feasible?   I don't see why not.  I think that Python
> makes an excellent language to express scientific algorithms in.   I
> think it should be a requirement that the contribution have some
> relevance to computing with Python.

Even if it is all Python for the time being, I think I would prefer a
more generic sounding name, like "Journal of Scientific Computing in
High Level Languages".  Ok, that sucks, but still, programming
langauges come and go, and staking the journal's name to a particular
one seems to be saying the ideas don't matter as much as the
technology used.  Sounds maybe more like a Ziff-Davis magazine than a
Journal.

--bb