[SciPy-dev] "branching" a package inside scipy ?

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 04:58:52 EST 2006

Hello all

On 12/5/06, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
> >
> > Certainly. Here is a brief outline on how to do it. I recommend ignoring most of
> > the first half, which describes the manual procedure, and using the svnmerge.py
> > tool that I describe in the latter half. It simplifies the process immensely.
> >
> >   http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MakingBranches
> >
> > All of the examples there branch the whole trunk. The only change you have to
> > make is to use the URL directly to the cluster/ directory:
> >
> >   http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
> >     -->
> >   http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk/Lib/cluster
> >
> Thanks, I am surprised I didn't find the link in the wiki (maybe the
> search does not take trac into account ?).
>
> Anyway, can I use anything I want for a branch name ?

Something like branches/<yourusername> or branches/pyem-refactor is
probably a good choice.

The SCons folks also use svnmerge.py to take care of their branching
and merging. You might want to check out their recipe too (seems to
differ slightly from Robert's):

http://scons.tigris.org/branching.html

Cheers,

Albert