[SciPy-dev] Release going to happen tonight.

Robert Kern rkern at UCSD.EDU
Fri Sep 30 01:02:15 EDT 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> Robert Kern wrote:

>> There is a misc_util.py file that could house it unless Pearu has a
>> better idea.
>
> Actually, there is no need to give scipy include_dirs in setup.py files.
> Since scipy.distutils will be used to build scipy specific extension
> modules anyway, then I thought that scipy include_dirs should be always
> used and in the current newcore this is implemented in
> scipy.distutils.command.build_ext module, it uses get_scipy_include_dirs
> function from misc_util.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to require that scipy.distutils be used to
build extensions if we can avoid it. There are plenty of other
extensions to distutils and build_ext out there and we should play
nicely with them if at all possible. People aren't going to switch out
their build systems wholesale just compile against scipy.

> But I agree with Robert that it might be could idea to install scipy
> headers under
> <prefix>/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages/scipy/base/include/scipy rather
> than under <prefix>/include/pythonX.X/scipy. However, other
> places could be also considered:
>
>   <prefix>/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages/scipy/include
>
> for example. Let me know what would you prefer and I'll do the
> implementation.

Don't try to do those path calculations in install_header. bdist_egg,
for example, never runs install_header, and those calculations from
<prefix> would be wrong if it did. Try to put them in as package data.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter