[SciPy-dev] Release going to happen tonight.

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 29 19:39:25 EDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> With Pearu's commits, I'm about ready to make a beta release.  Now,
> where do I place it?
>
> I'll probably put it on the sourceforge site as well as make a link on
> numeric.scipy.org.
>
> What do you all think?

We should make a final decision about where the headers need to go. I
floated the idea a few days ago to install headers into the package
itself instead of having them installed to the $prefix by the
install_headers command. Some people won't be able to install to the
main Python include directory because they don't have root access.
PythonEggs don't have the ability to install headers either. AFAICT,
only Numeric, numarray, and ScientificPython do this. We should take the
opportunity now to stop this practice.

There is now a function scipy.base.get_scipy_include():

def get_scipy_include():
    """Return the directory in the package that contains the scipy/*.h
header
    files.

    Extension modules that need to compile against scipy.base should use
this
    function to locate the appropriate include directory. Using distutils:

      import scipy
      Extension('extension_name', ...
                include_dirs=[scipy.get_scipy_include()])
    """
    import os
    dir, fn = os.path.split(__file__)
    return os.path.join(dir, 'include')