[SciPy-dev] install location of the newcore header files

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Oct 11 02:39:28 EDT 2005

I find this thread of where headers should be installed a bit strange.

First, as a developer, I don't care where the headers are installed as
long as it is well documented how to access them.

Second, currently there a two choises whether to install them to headers
directory or to package directory. As I know now, the first choice would
cause problems to certain setups and the second choice would work for all
camps. So, for me it would be natural to go with the second choice. It is
simple and works for all.

There are arguments that no matter what, we should follow Python
recommendations, even if the standard code is broken. For scipy it would
mean adding fixes to scipy.distutils that's additional code that we need
to maintain and also watch out that it will behave as in new versions of
distutils that might contain the same fixes. Note that we cannot drop the
corresponing patches in scipy.distutils because it should work with older
Python versions (2.3 and up) as well. So, I think the trouble of strictly
following Pyhton conventions is not worth as we already have a working
solution.

Finally, about the suggestion of installing header files to both places,
hmm, that sounds insane, IMHO. Again, this is even more code to maintain
as well as a source of confusion when debugging.

Suggestion: leave the current behavior as it is and when
platforms/setups/whatever that currently have problems with
installing header files to standard places, are fixed to handle these
places or Python folks work something out for them, then we switch over to
installing headers to recommended locations.

this is my 2 estonian cents,
Pearu