[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] install location of the newcore header files

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:52:53 EDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> So, why not have the get_headers_dir() function in scipy.distutils, but
> just install to the "standard" place by default and only install to the
> non-standard place if needed.   This seems like it would make everybody
> happy.

I foresee people neglecting to use the get_headers_dir() function.

How does one test whether headers can be installed to the main Python
include directory? The most robust strawman I can think of works as follows:

  The headers are always installed in the package. They are also added
with config.add_headers(). get_headers_dir() checks for their existence
in $prefix/include/pythonX.Y/scipy/ and uses the package headers otherwise.

Personally, I think that's more confusing, but I'll tolerate it.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter