[SciPy-dev] newscipy sandbox

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Oct 6 17:26:12 EDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Stephen Walton wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>

>> I have created sandbox in newscipy and adapted scipy setup.py file
>> to new scipy.distutils.
>

> Thanks, Pearu, this is a good job.  I am having a problem, though.
> config.add_library in scipy.distutils creates names
> libamos__OF__scipy.special.a instead of just libamos.a.  So I guess my
> questions are:
>
> (1) should the add_library method actually do this?

not sure yet.

> (2) If yes to (1), does this mean that Lib/special/setup _special.py
> should be modified so its list of library names is of this form?

no

> (3) Or, should the add_extension method of Configuration mangle the
> passed-in library names to be of this form?

yes, but see (1).

> If I get a vote, I would answer no to #1, but if there's a good reason
> for that answer to be yes, then I would say yes to #3 as well.

I am not quite finished with implementing what's behind in add_library
method, and so, it may not work yet (I had a working version before
cvs->svn but this version is against cvs repository that I need to apply
to svn).

The idea behind this strange naming convention (that may change to a
better one) is that one can build/install pure libraries that will be
available to different scipy packages. A classical example is blas/lapack
libraries that are used by many extension modules from different packages.
The problem is to find out how setup scripts of packages can find the
location of such libraries that may be in completely different branch of
a directory tree and using this naming convention is one of the ways to
specify libraries locations. I know, it's ugly and I don't like it myself
but that's just a side result of a process for looking a right
solution.

I'll try to find some time to review the add_library stuff as soon as
possible.

Pearu