[SciPy-dev] scipy.distutils compatibility patch

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Mon Nov 21 04:38:28 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While trying to get TVTK working with scipy I ran into some problems
> with scipy.distutils and compatibilty with older code.  Attached is a
> patch (I don't have checkin access) that adds `default_config_dict` to
> scipy.distutils.misc_util.  Adding this lets my simple setup.py
> scripts work with either scipy_distutils or scipy.distutils.

Thanks for the patch. It is in SVN now with small depreciation warning.

> I also found that `python setup.py build_ext --inplace` does not work
> correctly and it tries to build the extension module in the installed
> distutils directory (for
> e.g. /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/distutils).

Yes, I am aware of possible --inplace problems. When building scipy, one
should not build with --inplace even if it would work correctly --- if
something gets wrong then it is very difficult to remove all the generated
files inside scipy source tree. So, what comes to building scipy with
--inplace switch, I cannot give full support on solving building
problems. `rm -rf build` is a *must* before rebuilding scipy and starting
to look into possible bugs.

However, if you could provide a simple example where --inplace does not
work as expected, I'll look into it and fix any related bugs in
scipy.distutils.

Pearu