[SciPy-dev] gplt suggestion: initcmd

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 8 12:07:51 EDT 2005

Michael J Gruber wrote:
> SciPy version: 0.3.2
>
> When using the gplt module for batch processing plots there are two
> problems:

I can apply this patch (it takes no time at all), but I'd like to rather ask
the 'big' question about plotting on the list.  It's a reality that nobody
really maintains plotting in scipy anymore, especially now that matplotlib and
pyx are on the scene, along with mayavi for 3d support.  But that is not
mentioned anywhere, so it's natural for new users to gravitate towards scipy's
plotting support.

Should we officially deprecate scipy.*plt?  I don't mean to pull it off the
codebase, since many people may rely on it, but simply don't mention it
anywhere in the docs or docstrings.  This way, those who already have code
that uses it can continue to run, but new unsuspecting users won't be lured
into the trap :)

Any opinions?

Cheers,