[SciPy-dev] MacOS X binary and distutils

Derek Homeier derek at uni-sw.gwdg.de
Thu Feb 10 16:01:25 EST 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 3:45 AM, Brendan Simons wrote:

> OK, I'm asking.  The OS-X build requirements are way too high a
> barrier for me, which means no binary - no scipy on my mac (which is
> my primary development platform).
>
> I recognize that I'm not contributing anything towards that end, but
> you asked.

Speaking of which, the fink package works quite well, should be
available as a binary, and in anyway is trivial to build (or rather, to
have fink handle the probably non-trivial build!). I just had an issue
with the scipy-py24 version, which raises a distutils
DistutilsPlatformError if the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET env var is not
set prior to launching python (to "10.3" , in this case).
I have been informed this is standard behaviour for python 2.4
distutils, still it does not seem very desirable for a "user-friendly"
package. I am wondering if this is just a bad feature on python's side,
or if the problem rather arises from importing distutils during runtime
(shouldn't it be only required in the build/setup process??).

Anyway, wanted to remind that thanks to the fink folks there is a OS X
binary available, and building a standalone installer would certainly
benefit from cooperation between both parties.

Cheers,
								Derek