[SciPy-dev] cluster/src/vq_wrap.cpp not being compiled with C++

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 4 17:05:03 EDT 2002

I'm trying to build SciPy on a Solaris system (sunos 5.8) using Sun's C, C++
and Fortran compilers.  I've fiddled and faddled 'til it got down to
compiling .../scipy/cluster.  It goes to compile the vq_wrap.cpp file and
tries compiling it with 'cc' instead of 'CC'.  Distutils generates this
command:

    cc -DNDEBUG -O -I/home/skip/local/SunOS/include/python2.2 -c
    cluster/src/vq_wrap.cpp -o build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.2/vq_wrap.o

which generates this message:

    cc: No input file specified, no output generated

If I simply change 'cc' to 'CC' it compiles fine.  I would have thought
distutils would recognize the need to use 'CC' if the file extension was
'.cpp'.  If I try running

    python setup.py build_ext --compiler=CC

distutils raises a PlatformError:

    don't know how to compile C/C++ code on platform 'posix' with 'CC'
    compiler

I don't see anything like a command/build_cpplib.py file which might tell
how to build C++ extensions.

Where should I be looking for clues?

Thx,

--