[SciPy-dev] ccache

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Mon Oct 14 10:18:17 EDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, eric jones wrote:

> > At least under unices wx_base shouldn't be necessary. If wx-config is
> not
> > in the path then it means that wxPython was not installed (or
> > not properly at least) and wx support should be then disabled.
>
> Is this true?  It live is /usr/lib/wxPython/bin on our machine which is
> most definitely not in the path.  Where does it live on your machine?
> Perhaps we need to fix how ours is installed.

In my machine(s) wx-config lives in $prefix/bin where $prefix was
specified in configure command line, and the default $prefix is /usr/local
as usual for Gnu software.
On the other hand, instructions in

  http://www.wxpython.org/README.1st.txt

use /usr/lib/wxPython for the prefix as an example and that's where your
system probably got it. This document does not mention the location of
wx-config file because it is not important for doing 'import wxPython'.

For example, in Debian Woody, `wx-config --prefix` gives
  /usr
and I would expect other distributions to use the same convention.

I think it would be safer and simpler to require that wx-config is in the
path than either hard coding it to weave or implementing various
heuristics similar to what system_info basically does. One can always make
heuristics to fail and most software that use xxx-config convention
(e.g. ginac,cln,glib,gtk, and many others, see for -config files in
your system), assume that xxx-config can be found from the path.

Pearu