[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] QR algorithms in Python

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Tue Aug 13 13:41:39 EDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, James G Analytis wrote:

> Dear Pearu,
> >
> > The problem seems to be with the lapack installation. Did you follow the
> > instructions in scipy/INSTALL.txt file, especially the ones related to
> > ATLAS?
> I followed the instructions on
> http://www.scipy.org/Members/fperez/PerezCVSBuild.htm
> But I noted the problems described in scipy/INSTALL.txt and thought I had
> installed ATLAS correctly.

Ok, now I see where is the problem, I think. Try

  ls -l /usr/local/lib/liblapack.a

The size of this file should be aroung 6MB. If it is much less than that
then you have incomplete lapack. To get a complete one, follow these
instructions

  http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#completelp

Fernando, can you add the remark above also to

  http://www.scipy.org/Members/fperez/PerezCVSBuild.htm

? Also, the manual linking part in the fftw section is
unneccasary: system_info.py should be able to handle it now.
Finally, can you make also a link to INSTALL.txt file? This file should be
the most up-to-date document about building SciPy.

> > and also the location of your ATLAS (or BLAS and LAPACK) libraries?
>
> I've got two copies of liblapack.a - one that came with ATLAS and one that
> came with RedHat 7.3. The ATLAS liblapack is in /usr/local/lib/ and the
> system one is in /usr/lib/. I will remove the RedHat ones and recompile
> ATLAS. I couldn't initially remove the RedHat ones because Octave required
> them. But I've since discovered that Octave can be removed.
> Hopefully this should work (?)
> I'm using standard install of RedHat 7.3 with gcc version 2.96, but this can
> be changed if you recommend it.

Let's first try to get scipy working without too much changing the system.
According to the system_info.py output, nothing needs to be removed from
your RedHat installation, I think.

Pearu