watershed algorithm for segmentation

amitbhatkal12 at gmail.com amitbhatkal12 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 05:46:44 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,
I was trying to segment a greyscale 8 bit image using the watershed
algorithm present in skimage.morphology but I am confused as to what should
I provide as inputs to the watershed().
Can anyone please help me in this regard.
This is what I gathered from the documentation.

*image: ndarray (2-D, 3-D, ...) of integers* :

Data array where the lowest value points are labeled first.

*markers: ndarray of the same shape as `image`* :

An array marking the basins with the values to be assigned in the label
matrix. Zero means not a marker. This array should be of an integer type.

Here "image" refers to original image or something else?
How do I obtain the markers ?

Thank you