Color spaces

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 08:13:04 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Nicolas Pinto <nicolas.pinto at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Chris,
>
> I wonder if you would be interested in seeing more color space
>> conversions being added to the colorconv.py module, or if you are
>> deliberately keeping it simple? For instance, I would like to add
>> conversions to and from CIE LAB, and to allow alternative white
>> points.
>>

> +1 on more color conversions!
>

>> I'm also interested in seeing conversions to and from human cone LMS
>> spaces available somewhere for SciPy users. I'm not sure whether or
>> not this kind of thing would be appropriate for scikits.image.
>>

> LMS is definitely interesting. We also have some code around to reproduce
> other human-like color spaces (e.g. opponent space from Itti & Walther, see
> Walther's PhD Thesis, Appendix A.2 http://bit.ly/deN6iU), as well as all
> the color spaces used in Geusebroek & van de Sande (as in
> http://bit.ly/bKg9nB or http://bit.ly/bYLF21). Would you be interested in
> these? I'll be happy to add them too.
>
> Please feel free to contribute any color space you'd like, possibly using
> Cython if you need speed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,

>> I thought I should first post a short message about this before
>> starting anything. I'm aware that the SciPy image sandbox used to
>> contain more conversions, probably in a slightly confusing way
>> (e.g.http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/browser/trunk/Lib/sandbox/image/
>> color.py?rev=1698<http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/browser/trunk/Lib/sandbox/image/color.py?rev=1698>).
>> Anyway, please let me know what you think.

When I looked at those I reused only the conversions that were unambiguously
defined and did not need to make too many assumptions. We discussed it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/scikits-image/browse_thread/thread/4b4e69fd0dbce9cc/7db21c67738edeed?lnk=gst&q=color+spaces#7db21c67738edeed

More color spaces is good, but it's important to reference everything very
well and also decide on the scaling for float/uint etc.

Cheers,
Ralf