[Pythonmac-SIG] Building extension modules with Xcode 5

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Oct 26 01:26:59 CEST 2013

In article <nad-81273C.19295024102013 at news.gmane.org>,
 Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> I'm really confused here.   Using the current 2.7.5 64-bit installer (from
> May) on 10.8.5 with Xcode 5.0.1 works just fine for me.  Perhaps you are
> seeing problems because you are trying to override Distutils defaults?  If
> you
> don't set any of CC or LDSHARED or other DIstutils environment variables,
> Distutils should do the right thing.  If you do set the env variables,
> Distutils assumes you know what you are doing and honors the values you
> supply.

Ah, while my comment above is accurate concerning the current 64-bit
installers, it did slip my mind that there *is* an Xcode 5-related problem
when using the legacy *32-bit-only* installers for Python 3.3.2 and 2.7.5 on
10.8 or 10.9 with Xcode 5.  Basically, the problem is that the test that
Distutils currently uses during extension module builds to detect whether the
compiler supports PPC architectures fails due to behavior changes in Xcode 5.

The problem was already fixed in the 3.4.0a4 installer and will be fixed in
3.3.3 and 2.7.6, for which release candidate installers should be available by
Monday.  To highlight the issue, I have created Issue19400 which describes the
problem in more detail and documents a workaround, i.e. using the ARCHFLAGS
environment variable to override universal architectures for ext module builds.

Perhaps this is the problem people have been seeing with Xcode 5?  My
apologies for not thinking of it earlier.  Otherwise, I am not aware of any
other problems with using Xcode 5 for extension module builds.  Please open
issues on the Python bug tracker if you find any problems!

http://bugs.python.org/issue19400

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org