[Pythonmac-SIG] Concise documentation for PyObjC?

John Velman velman at cox.net
Sun Jul 29 00:51:51 CEST 2012

I'm on OSX 10.7.4 (and will probably move to 10.8 soon).  My XCode is
4.3.3.

I'm writing a minimalist program to examine and edit markdown.  Since the
basic program is pretty minimal I want to add plugin extensions.

I found this excellent example by Steven Degutis, from back in 2010,
(Xcode 3):
(http://www.informit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?uk=Ask-Big-Nerd-Ranch-Adding-Python-Scripting-to-Cocoa-apps)

Using this as an example, I added a plugin management class (ObjC), and
added a class implemented in Python to execute the plugins.  I added
Python.framework to my project in the usual way. I used some Steven Degutis'
plugins to test it. Everything worked with no problem.  Very easy!

(The XCode 4.3.3 application includes Python.framework for both 2.6 and 2.7.,
and PyObjC is in there).

I've looked for documentation with Google, and so far I've learned

   - PyObjC is s.o.l.
   - PyObjC is e.o.l.
   - There are a million old tutorials on using PyObjC to build a whole
     app.
   - There is a new version of PyObjC comming out shortly (probably right,
     I think I found this on this list)
   - PyObjC is no longer included in XCode (WRONG).
   - PyObjC doesn't work on Lion (WRONG).

But I can't find any documentation. I'd really like it if someone could
point me to some concise documentation.  I don't need GUI templates in IB.
I don't even need Python file templates.  And I don't think I want a
tutorial.  Just some syntax and semantics for def, @classmethod, other
things that I might need that aren't in the examples.

Since everything works so well and so easily, I'd like to stick with Python
instead of learning Lua, using AppleScript, or any of 100 other possible
solutions.

Thanks,

John Velman