[Pythonmac-SIG] PyQT on Lion?

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Mon Jul 23 16:41:47 CEST 2012

Am 23.07.2012, 16:25 Uhr, schrieb Arana Fireheart <aranafireheart at mac.com>:

> Charlie,
> 	Really!? How can you tell that from what I sent?

Yep. From your e-mail from 10th July.

> The issue I have with homebrew (which btw, is the package manager I
> would prefer to use…), is that I can't get pyserial to install under
> homebrew.

ah, new information.

> I know there is a way to build an installer using homebrew, but pyserial
> isn't available under git , and I went looking for another 'path' to the
> goal, since I really didn't want to build everything from scratch!

sudo path/to/your/homebrew's python/pip install pyserial (this should also
work in a virtual environment)

> 	As far as I can tell there isn't any one place that describes who puts
> what where for OS X. Is anyone aware of one? I'm *really* thinking about
> starting one!

It's quite easy: either you use the stuff Apple f*cks up; or you use a
package manager such Homebrew or MacPorts. It is asking for trouble to mix
and match the two, especially as Apple almost never updates libraries
between releases.

> 	Also, what do you mean that installing PyQt with homebrew "will limit
> the effectiveness of any virtualenv"? I couldn't seem to get my virtual
> environment to find PyQt.

That's what I meant by "limiting". If the virtualenv has access to the
system packages, necessary for PyQT, the the degree of isolation that you
have is reduced. I hit a similar bump recently getting Weasyprint running.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director