[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript and Snow Leopard and setuptools...

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sun Sep 13 20:30:48 CEST 2009

On 13 Sep 2009, at 18:52, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Is it possible to disentangle appscript from setuptools?  I just
> downloaded the sources to my Snow Leopard machine, did
>
> python setup.py build
> python setup.py install
>
> which went just fine.  But then I did
>
> % python
>
> and got this big stack trace because a ~/.python-eggs subdirectory
> wasn't accessible.  That shouldn't happen, and I'd like to remove
> any dependence on setuptools and eggs, if possible.

You can install appscript from source using plain old distutils; the
setup.py script will use setuptools if it's available and distutils if
not. Though if there are problems with setuptools then I'd suggest
filing bug reports on that as well.

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net