[Pythonmac-SIG] Disabling Menus on the Mac

Jens Thomas j.m.h.thomas at dl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 11:28:55 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've hit a rather quirky problem that falls between a number of
different areas, so I'm not sure if this is the correct list to post
this to, so apologies if I've got it wrong.

I'm working on a PyQt GUI application that I'm trying to integrate with
a Tkinter GUI application. Surprisingly, this actually works quite well
and the two event loops don't seem to clash and it all (almost) works fine.

The only issue I've hit is that when the PyQt application spawns the
thread that runs the Tkinter GUI, the "Python" menu for the Tkinter app
appears and tramples over the existing PyQt application's menu (i.e. the
menu along the top of the screen with the "Preferences", "File", "Edit"
etc. stuff in it gets scrambled as both applications think they have
control of it).

I guess this makes sense, but it does rather screw things up for me.

Does anyone know if there is any way for me to run the Tkinter GUI
without it trying to populate the menu bar?

Best wishes,

Jens

Jens Thomas,                email:  j.m.h.thomas at dl.ac.uk
STFC Daresbury Lab,         tel:    +44-1925-603849
Warrington,                 fax:    +44-1925-603634
WA4 4AD,  UK.               http:   http://www.cse.scitech.ac.uk